What is your only comfort?

Urban God-talk for the church-o-phobic.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

On Cabbage Patch Dolls and Blogs

With Stacey as my example, I've succomed to today's latest trend: the blog. Not that I wouldn't mind turning into Andrew Sullivan. It's just that I'll never be trendy. This goes all the way back to the Cabbage Patch doll phase. I was the only kid in the 2nd grade who had absolutely no desire to go near those things.

Most days, I'm frightend to live at hipster ground zero. I look around and see people my age, but with fashion skills well beyond my capabilities. Each with his or her iPod buds pulsating to music I'll never understand.

So it's with some resistance that I plugged in my user name and password to Blogger. At least I'll be my own small contribution to driving up the stock price of Google.

But, I'll admit - blogs offer an easy means of communicating with countless folks around the world. It's both daunting, and somewhat exciting to think of the potential. Mostly, though, I feel as though I have thoughts and stories inside of me that need to be told. Even if it is the sound of one hand clapping. I'll just worry when the one hand slaps me for saying too much, too little or with with incorrect spelling.

2 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger  said...

You could look at it this way: you have not really succumbed to faddism, inasmuch as you have only created your blog within the last three months. Now, if you would've had a blog, say, five years ago, the story would be quite another. But no, we're simply operating on what I have termed "bookword technological lag"--and this, my friend, is not selling out. I mean... at least I really, really hope so! ;-)

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Julie VW said...

Yeah, if it makes you feel better, Blogger blogs are not trendy anymore. The cool kids all switched to Typepad or Drupal, leaving only Google shareholders and non-cool-kids on Blogspot.

[Juile whistles innocently and pretends that she owns Google stock.]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home