What is your only comfort?

Urban God-talk for the church-o-phobic.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Added to the sermon writing difficulties

I've taken to sitting on the couch under the front window while working on my computer. This allows me to take in the sunlight and look at the beautiful Lutheran church across the street. It also provides a means to follow what's going on in the street below. Tonight the boys who usually spend their time playing football had gathered instead to sit in front of the church. I could hear them swearing loudly then one started calling another a 'faggot.' I went down and confronted them about it, something that I previously have felt too disempowered to do. It wasn't an easy thing for me to do since I have worked hard to build up a good rapport with them. I think, though, that no one will be using that word on Milton Street for a while, at least not in front of our church.

I wonder what it would be like if every minister would confront people for name-calling. I wish that somebody had done that when I was a kid and the others hurled those names at me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home