What is your only comfort?

Urban God-talk for the church-o-phobic.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Extending hospitality in the age of Katrina



In response to Hurricane Katrina, Jen and I decided to join with 200,000 other Americans to offer our spare room to a Katrina refugee. It seemed like one concrete thing that we could do to help in the midst of such a horrible situation.

We received a few responses, mostly from displaced students who are going to study in New York for the fall. Last night, we met with Vanessa, one such student who will be staying with us as she completes the fall semester at Fordham. She previously attended Loyola, but evacuated just in time with a duffel bag of clothes and her newly purchased cell phone.

One place I thought we could start with helping to get her settled is to put out a call asking for gift cards or gift certificates that she could use to purchase clothes and other items necessary for life in the city.

If you would like to send these to Vanessa, feel free to mail them to our house: 136 Milton St. Brooklyn, NY 11222. She will be moving in this evening. It certainly doesn't require much effort, since all she has is one bag.

Any help with welcoming Vanessa is grately appreciated. I'm sure that there will be more updates as things progress. In the meantime, please continue to keep the Gulf Coast in your prayers as well as all the folks who are now scattered throughout our country in search of a place to call home.

4 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger terri c said...

Please tell Vanessa she will be held in my heart--this is tough. I am a student too so will have to look round and see what I can come up with! But the warm thoughts and prayers are a given.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ann!

I'd love to send a couple of gift cards, AND my church has a new scrip program where we get a small percentage of gift card purchases, so I'll plan to buy them there. Double benefit and all that.

BUT - I don't know what stores you might have, WAAAAY up there in New York! I could get cards for Marshall's, Macy's, places like that.... Tell me what you have and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks! :) Happy Days! Mary Beth

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Hi Mary Beth,
I'm sorry that it's taken me a little while to get back to you. We've been away for the past two days, and only just returned.

Thanks so much for offering to help Vanessa (and in turn help out your church - I'd love to hear about that program so that we could use it too). As for stores here in NYC, we Old Navy is probably the easiest to find. Target is also here, but we do not have Walmart anywhere near the city (of which I am quite proud).

I hope that helps, I hadn't realized that I should have listed some local stores here. I'm going to go back and amend the post for that. Thanks again for your offer to help.

With warm regards,
Ann

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary Beth
do you know if we can order gift cards through your church too? Being over in europe we can't buy them locally that's for sure. (leave a message on my site please or email me)

Ann, a list of stores would be good.

hope Vanessa has settled in ok. for all of you. Must be a scary time for her and friends too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home