What is your only comfort?

Urban God-talk for the church-o-phobic.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The proudest daughter in the world


Yesterday, my dad was named one of the top ten straight advocates for lesbian and gay rights - right there with Kanye West, Al Sharpton and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Zapatero. Congrats Dad!

If someone would have told me when I was a kid that my dad would be on this list, I would have thought that he or she was nuts. My dad was a happy go-lucky theological librarian who enjoyed cooking breakfest for his family and affixing post-it notes with messages for the day to cans of soda in our lunches. He was a regular guy, in spite of not loving baseball. He certainly wasn't a "rabble rouser."

He is a guy, though, who believes in Jesus and the Bible - and that just about ensures that at some point or another he'd become a rebel.

6 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger Jarred said...

Part of me wonders whether I should congratulate your father or ask you to send him my sympathies. I'm thankful that he has taken such a strong stand for what he believes to be right. I'm grateful that his decision to do so adds yet one more strand of support of lesbians and gays everywhere.

But at the same time, I have to wonder how this has affected his life as a "regular guy." I hope that we (as in gay men and lesbians everywhere) don't "repay" him by ceasing to think of him as a dear and wonderful person by transforming him into little more than an "advocate."

I hope I've successfully expressed what I'm trying to say. More importantly, I hope it makes sense.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger terri c said...

So glad your Dad is getting recognition--and so appreciative of folks like him, who believe in the Bible and are willing to live that belief. A wonderful piece of news for today!

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is nice to hear. Glad he is getting this kind of recognition.

I have been pleased lately to see some subtle changes in the attitudes of some I thought would not budge their positions. The faithfulness of your Dad and your whole family are an inspiration to many people - from all walks of life.

I am looking forward to the Conference next week.

Peace,

Marey

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger LutheranChik said...

That is great. You're lucky to have such an understanding dad.

And what he's doing is so important because, as a friend of mine points out, the gay community can't change society's attitudes alone...we need allies.

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

were post it pads around when you were a kid. they weren't when I was ROFL

this is great Ann.
be blessed

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

This post made my day. How wonderful to have a father like that.

My own father still needs some education in that area ....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home