What is your only comfort?

Urban God-talk for the church-o-phobic.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Police Academy: not quite the movie



From what I have discovered of blogging, it's a way to share the big events of your life with countless unknown people from all over the world.

Here goes: I've always wanted to be a police officer. Unfortunately, I don't necessarily fit the mold. The NYPD doesn't exactly recruit graduates of Columbia University, and I was told that I was a little too nerdy for the police force. Not to mention that peer pressure in Morningside Heights veers toward law school and investment banking. This is very sad, indeed. Personally, I had hopes of wearing blue. But, I've settled for sporting black clerical collars on Sundays.

Little did I know, though, that local community leaders such as pastors are often invited to participate in New York's Citizens Police Academy. While it wasn't quite police boot camp, it was a very insightful program. And aftewards, we got to graduate complete with having our photo taken with the Commissioner. He's a civillian, so I didn't have to be envious of being next to a man in uniform.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home