What is your only comfort?

Urban God-talk for the church-o-phobic.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Orange City and In the Life

This month's installment of the PBS show In the Life features a story about the difficulties faced by a young lesbian coming out in Orange City, IA. While she is not a member of an RCA congregation (she's active in the Evangelical Free church), the segment speaks directly about Orange City as a conservative Christian community.

For those of you unfamiliar with Orange City, it has one of the highest per capita populations of stubborn Dutchmen outside of Friesland. As a stubborn Dutchman myself, I trace a portion of my own roots back Orange City (although I make no claim to Frisian heritage). It was home to my maternal grandfather.

Alas, as one might anticipate, Orange City isn't too kind to its gay children. I know that I should expect this by now, but it still surprises me that Christians can behalf so horribly - graffiti on her car, threatening messages...

Fortunately, Emily has a set of wonderful parents. Her dad was interviewed in his hunting jacket. I wouldn't want to harass, intimidate or threaten his little girl; that's for sure.

For those who are interested in seeing this, you can check local air dates on the "In the Life" website at http://www.inthelifetv.org/inthelife/when_its_on/index.php.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home