What is your only comfort?

Urban God-talk for the church-o-phobic.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

After 88 years, it sure feels good

I confess - after one of the more hectic days of my ministerial life, my body went crashing into bed at 10pm. In solidarity with my arms, legs and torso, my eyes shut tight almost immediately and I raced into one of the soundest sleeps I have ever experienced.

It wasn't until 8am this morning that I awoke to discover that if you wait long enough eventually hope does prevail: the White Sox won the World Series.

And then I sobbed. Big, heaving, uncontrollable sobs. The impossible had become possible. The improbably is now reality. Grandpa's team had finally won. I wish that I had it in me to stay awake for the whole game. In another unlikely turn of events, my father actually did manage to watch the game. He is the least likely among us to be caught viewing American's pastime. But he recognized the historical weight of the event and stayed up for the final out. His father would have been proud.

Grandpa took me to my first baseball game at Comiskey Park in 1984. We watched the White Sox play the Tigers. I have the ticket safely tucked away in a binder of 'important things' from my childhood. I only had to wait 21 years to see the Sox win. Grandpa waited his entire life. Even so, he never gave up hope.

5 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger furtherleft said...

I connected to your blog because either you or someone else through yours connected to ours at http://further-left-forum.blogspot.com . That operates in conjunction with Library and Chat Room companion sites, both linked on the forum.

I read all of your first page, found it well organized, directed with sincerity, and can make a few comments. One is that I believe you might enjoy and do some good in the directions your writing begs by becoming a part of what we do. I welcome you to at least take a close look.

Another relates to the Sox. I was also from Chicago, though now expatriated for 19 years in Mexico. My father was a Chicago newspaper man and as a kid I had press tickets to any sport event desired. Our end of town always considered anything south of Madison Street to be down state and we await resurgence of DA CUBS dormant in championship since 1908. In truth, I found baseball games boring but did grow watching DA BEARS when they were the monsters of the midway in the late 30's and early 40's. They looked pretty good last Sunday as I practiced the obligation of following them on TV. Otherwise I wouldn't walk across the street to see an athletic contest.

Re: Rosa Parks, yes a brave lady. We have an expression here "Como agua por chocolate" which translates to "Like chocolate for water" and is taken as "Watch out! I am exasperated to the gills and about to explode." That mirrors feelings of the poor, who can only afford water to mix with their chocolate rather than the milk of the rich. I did not know Ms. Parks nor am aware of anyone who did though I was intimately active in the US civil rights movement. She was just a person a great many who had all she could take and realized truth to oneself is more important than potential risk in a hard life. The US media depends on individual icons to flag their meager approach to what is. What they miss are the many who also would also prefer milk in their chocolate.

Pocho

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to mail you yesterday about the Sox & couldn't find your blog...then ran out of time!

I loved your writing about your grandfather earlier, and it actually inspired me to write about MY grandfather, the anniversary of whose death was on Wednesday.

so, hooray! though I don't much care about baseball

and thanks. :)

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Apostle John said...

Wonderful post!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Mary Beth,
Thanks for trying to email me! And I'm so glad that you were inspired to write about your grandfather. I'm going to take a look at your post right now.

All the best,
Ann

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Jody Harrington said...

Congratulations to the White Sox from this disappointed Houston Astros fan. Maybe it will be our turn to finally win the Series next year!

Enjoyed your writing about your grandfather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home